Thursday, May 29, 2008

Brokenness

Father, bring me to a state of brokenness. I am so full of myself sometimes. Almost all the time.

God, you and you alone are deserving of praise. Not I, not anyone on this earth can comprehend your vast greatness and mercy. You loved me first. I can't believe you could love me like this.

The following pieces from an excerpt out of Real FamilyLife magazine (Nov. 1997) have hugely convicted me of my desperate need for brokenness and repentance.


The Beauty of Brokenness


Proud people look down on others.
Broken people esteem all others better than self

Proud people have an independent, self-sufficient spirit.
Broken people have a dependent spirit and recognize the need for others.

Proud people need to maintain control: must be my way.
Broken people surrender control

Proud people have to prove that they are right.
Broken people are willing to yield the right to be right!

Proud people have a desire to be a success.
Broken people have the desire to be faithful to make others a success.

Proud people feel confident in how much they know.
Broken people are humbled by how much they have to learn

Proud people are self-conscious.
Broken people are not concerned with self at all.

Proud people are concerned with being "respectable"
Broken people are concerned with being real

Proud people are concerned about what others think
Broken people know that all that matters is what God knows

Proud people compare themselves with others and feel deserving of honor.
Broken people compare themselves to the holiness of God and feel desperate need for mercy


WOW.

That last one is incredibly convicting.

God is SO big. He is so LOVE. Let him deal with your pride.

We are entering a rapidly-moving, humility-requiring, intense spiritual era on this earth. The ball is rolling, but we need to make sure our hearts are clean and ready to move with Him.

The Lion, Jesus, has awakened my heart.

Let's roll.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes.

I love you.

Thanks for being the sunshine of my Thursday, stunning friend you are :)

Shadraq said...

Wow, that's powerful --> Especially that last one. Have you ever noticed how clean you feel during a time of brokenness???

Only in the storm said...

WOW
major conviction...

i just started a blog called "only in the storm" if you wanna, you should check it out :0)

much love
Robin

Nadine said...

So how are you?

I love you. Such wisdom.

Only in the storm said...

Guess what? you've been tagged along with many others!
Come on over to my blog to learn how it works, i hope you'll play!

love you very much :0)

robin